Our organic IPA makes an excellent match to a variety of flavors — but, especially works well with salty, fatty, rich and spicy dishes.Today, we created a meatless recipe that incorporates all those flavors: chiles rellenos!
Meatless Chile Rellenos
- 6 large, roasted and peeled chiles (Anaheim, or Poblano)
- 6 large eggs, separated (yolk from whites)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups cheese (shredded Monterey Jack & Queso Blanco)
- Oil for frying
- 2 cups salsa or tomato sauce
- Cilantro for garnish
1. Roast the chiles on a hot grill, or in a broiler on high heat. Turn them occasionally until the skins are blackened and charred and remove from heat. Cool to room temperature and peel the skin off.
2. Cut a slit almost the full length of each chile. Remove the seeds and stuff the chiles with an even mix of cheese, being careful not to over-stuff.
3. Whip the egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer, until stiff peaks have formed.
4. Heat the oil in a skillet until a drop of water sizzles when dropped into the pan.
5. Beat the egg yolks with one tablespoon flour and salt. Mix the yolks into egg whites and stir until you have a thick paste.
6. Roll the chiles in flour and dip each one in the egg batter, coat evenly. Fry on both sides until golden brown. Place on paper towels to drain.
7. Meanwhile, heat the salsa in a saucepan. Garnish chile rellenos with warm salsa and cilantro. Pair with a Bison Organic IPA! CHEERS!
Bison Brewing Company is an official Meatless Monday organization dedicated to lowering its carbon footprint by choosing to abstain from meat on Mondays. Our goal at Bison Brewing Company is to inspire the craft beer community to rally along with the millions of other people, like us, who support the Meatless Monday movement. We also urge everyone to take the extra step towards sustainability on Meatless Monday by pledging to drink green (local and organic) as well!!