This brisk autumn day is just screaming for something ooey-gooey and oven-baked. We are big fans on lasagna at Bison. Not only is it a nutritious and delicious all-in-one dish, but it also makes great lunches for the rest of the week.
This basilicious version of the traditional tomato-based recipe is a dead ringer pairing for Bison's Organic Honey Basil Ale. Taking a sip after each bite of lasagna really helps to make the basil *pop* in the beer, while the high carbonation and crisp finish of the beer makes it a perfect palate cleanser for the dish.
Happy Meatless Monday! Cheers!!!
Basil Pesto Lasagna
- 1 pound fresh lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 c. basil pesto (recipe below)*
- 4 c. bechamel sauce (recipe below)**
- 1 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 c. grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
*Can substitute with store bought pesto
**Can substitute with Alfredo sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In an 8×8 pan, place about 1/3 cup of the bechamel to coat the bottom of the pan. Lay first layer of lasagna noodles. Add enough bechamel to coat the noodles. Add some pesto and spread into the bechamel. Add a handful of the grated Parmesan. Continue to layer the noodles, bechamel, pesto and Parmesan until the last layer of noodles.
3. On the last layer, spread bechamel only. Add the rest of the Parmesan and top with the mozzarella. Wrap tightly with foil.
4. Bake for one hour (if using regular, cooked noodles) or one hour and 15 minutes (if using no-boil noodles). Remove foil and bake for 10 minutes more, until top is golden. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 15 minutes before slicing.
5. Serve with Bison Organic Honey Basil Ale. Cheers!
- 3 ounces Parmigiano Reggiano, cut into chunks
- 1-1/2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Place the chunks of Parmigiano cheese into the food processor and process until finely ground. Add the basil, garlic and pine nuts to food processor. Process, using pulses, till finely chopped. With machine running, add the olive oil until pesto is smooth.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk (whole or lowfat)
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
In a heavy medium saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in flour. Add the bouillon cube, allow to dissolve. Slowly add 1/3 of the milk and whisk over medium heat. Add nutmeg & pepper. When sauce is smooth, add another 1/3 of milk and whisk. When the sauce is smooth again, add the remainder of milk, whisk until smooth.
Bison Organic Beer is an official Meatless Monday organization dedicated to lowering its carbon footprint by choosing to abstain from meat on Mondays. Our goal at Bison Brewing Company is to inspire the craft beer community to rally along with the millions of other people, like us, who support the Meatless Monday movement. We also urge everyone to take the extra step towards sustainability on Meatless Monday by pledging to drink green (local and organic) as well!!