Today’s Meatless Monday recipe comes to us courtesy of Mar Routson, aka Ashley’s mom. In the past, we discovered that miso soup is an excellent pair with our IPA. The salty, earthiness of the soup heightens the hop profile of our IPA — making the citrus, pine and floral notes of the organic hops really shine through. The cooling nature of the hops also compliments the spiciness of the fresh ginger and red pepper flakes. The crisp and refreshing nature of our IPA is a palate cleanser for this dish, making every bite taste like the first.
Meatless Monday Miso Soup (vegan)
- 6 C. veg stock
- 1/4 c. brown Miso
- 3 1/2 inch slices fresh ginger
- 18 snow peas, stems and strings removed
- 4 large white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, coarsely shredded
- 2 scallions, including green part, finely chopped
- 1/4 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 6 oz. extra-firm tofu at room temp. cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 tsp Asian sesame oil (optional)
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Whisk together veg. stock and miso; add ginger. Bring to boil, cover and cook 5 min.
- Add peas, shrooms, carrots, scallions, and peppers. Cover and simmer ’til veggies are tender ( 3 min).
- Remove ginger. Stir in oil and red pepper flakes (optional).
- Serve soup over tofu cubes. Pair with Bison Organic Chocolate Stout.
Bison Brewing Company is an official Meatless Monday organization dedicated to lowering its carbon footprint by choosing to eat vegetarian on Mondays and pledging to drink green by choosing beverages that are either local, free-trade, or organic.
Our goal at Bison Brewing Company is to inspire the craft beer community to rally along with the millions of other people, like us, who take a small step to sustainability each Monday, by pledging to eat vegetarian at least day a week. We also urge everyone to take the extra step towards sustainability and make the commitment to “Drink Green” on Meatless Monday by washing down their favorite meatless recipe with a locally produced or organic craft beverage!