Why should the main course get all the fun on Meatless Monday? Okay, okay I know what you are thinking: "Hey, aren't all desserts technically meatless?" — well, yes, most of them are. BUT, desserts rarely ever get the lovely honor of being paired with dessert.
Today we are featuring the classic Italian dessert. Tiramisu. For those unaware, Tiramisu’ means “pick-
And the Italians might scoff, but we think that the best beverage in the world to pair with this classic dessert is beer. And not just any old beer — Bison's Organic Chocolate Stout. Boasting rich flavors of dark chocolate and espresso — Bison's Chocolate Stout is as complimentary as it gets for a food & beverage pairing. The dryness of the beer cuts through the richness in the dish, serving as a perfect palate cleanser perparing the tongue for another bite.
Enjoy the pairing on Meatless Monday, with brunch, or any other day of the week!
(adapted from the Food Network)
- 6 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/2 cups strong espresso, cooled
- 2 teaspoons Bourbon
- 24 packaged Italian ladyfingers (Savoiardi)
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate shavings, for garnish
1. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer with whisk attachment, beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale, about 5 minutes. Add mascarpone cheese and beat until smooth. Add 1 tablespoon of espresso and mix until thoroughly combined.
2. In a small shallow dish, add remaining espresso and rum. Dip each ladyfinger into espresso for only 5 seconds. Letting the ladyfingers soak too long will cause them to fall apart. Place the soaked ladyfinger on the bottom of a 13 by 9 inch baking dish, breaking them in half if necessary in order to fit the bottom.
3. Spread evenly 1/2 of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers. Arrange another layer of soaked ladyfingers and top with remaining mascarpone mixture.
4. Cover tiramisu with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to 8 hours. Before serving, sprinkle with chocolate shavings. And don't forget to wash it all down with a Bison Chocolate Stout!
Bison Brewing Company is an official Meatless Monday organization dedicated to lowering its carbon footprint by choosing to abstain from meat on Mondays. Our goal at Bison Brewing Company is to inspire the craft beer community to rally along with the millions of other people, like us, who support the Meatless Monday movement. We also urge everyone to take the extra step towards sustainability on Meatless Monday by pledging to drink green (local and organic) as well!!