Bison is super excited about our recent Gingerbread Ale release, we can't imagine drinking anything else right now! While searching for fun and unique fall recipes, we stumbled across this kickass recipes for Sweet Potato Tamales and Pecan Butter from Bobby Flay.
We slightly modified the baking spices used in Bobby's recipe to reflect those used in our Gingerbread Ale. The result is a match made in heaven. The spice blend and sweetness in the rich an hearty tamales are a direct compliment to the spice blend and chewy dark malt and molasses character of the Gingerbread Ale. Super yum!
Sweet Potato Tamales and Pecan Butter
- 20 dried
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 head roasted , cloves removed
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons
- 1 1/2 cups yellow
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large or 2 medium , roasted at 375 degrees for about 1 hour or until soft, then peeled and flesh mashed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pecan Butter, recipe follows
1. About 2 hours before you plan to form the tamales, clean the husks under running water. Soak them in warm water for 2 hours, or until softened.
2. Puree the corn, onion, roasted garlic, and stock in a . Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and cut in the butter and shortening. Using your fingers, mix in the cornmeal, , and salt and pepper until there are no visible lumps of fat. Fold in the sweet potato puree, cinnamon, , , and maple syrup. The mixture will be a lot looser than you think it should be, but when the tamales are steamed it will dry out.
3. Remove the cornhusks from the water and set aside the best 20 husks. masa drips out a little at the seam, that is no problem.) Tie each end of the bundle with a strip of cornhusk, pushing the filling toward the middle as you tie. Trim the ends to about 1/2-inch beyond the tie. and pat dry. Tear the remaining husks into 1-inch wide strips to be used for tying. Lay 2 husks flat on a work surface, with the tapered ends facing out and the broad bases overlapping by about 3 inches. Place about 1/3 cup of masa mixture in the center. Bring the long sides up over the masa, slightly overlapping, and pat down to close. (If the
4. Arrange the tamales in a single layer on a rack, cover tightly with foil, and steam over boiling water for 45 minutes. To Serve: slice a slit on top of each tamale and push both ends of the tamale toward the middle to expose the masa. Top each with 1 tablespoon of Pecan Butter and pair with Bison Gingerbread Ale!
1 stick , softened
1/4 cup toasted , finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Scrape into a ramekin and refrigerate until solid, about 2 hours.
Bison Brewing Company is an official Meatless Monday organization dedicated to lowering its carbon footprint by choosing to abstain from meat on Mondays. Our goal at Bison Brewing Company is to inspire the craft beer community to rally along with the millions of other people, like us, who support the Meatless Monday movement. We also urge everyone to take the extra step towards sustainability on Meatless Monday by pledging to drink green (local and organic) as well!!