Although not substantial enough to be a meal on its own, our beer-battered asparagus spears make an excellent afternoon, pre-dinner or late night snack. For the batter, we chose to use our organic IPA, which we think adds a nice bitter hop bite that pairs very well with the lemon aioli dipping sauce!
IPA Battered Asparagus & Lemon Aioli
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 bottle Bison Organic IPA
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- Vegetable Oil, for frying
1. Heat oil in a heavy saucepan.
2. Whisk together flour, salt, pepper lemon and zest in a bowl until combined. Add beer and whisk ingredients until smooth.
3. Dip asparagus in batter to coat. Remove excess batter before frying. Gently transfer battered asparagus to oil and fry until golden. Stir gently to prevent asparagus from sticking together.
4. Transfer to paper towels. Served warm with lemon aioli dipping sauce and pair with a Bison Organic IPA.
Lemon Aioli (simple version)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a medium bowl, mix all the ingredients together.