One of our favorite warm weather sippers has always been the gin fizz — bright, citrusy and effervescent. A rule of thumb with beer cocktails is: any drink that calls for soda water, tonic or juice can easily be substituted with beer. Case and point: The Gin Fizz.
This cocktail is loosely based on the Silver Gin Fizz, which calls for gin, citrus, sugar, egg whites and soda water. Inspired by Bison Brewing’s Honey Basil Ale, shake “spanked” basil with honey, fresh lemon juice, lime juice, egg whites and one of our all time favorite gins — St. George Spirits Botanivore — and top the concoction with the beer. The Honey Basil Ale really shines through!
The result is a tart, fizzy cocktail with hints of caramel sweetness, notes of clover honey, and a whisper of basil. Absolutely perfect!
Honey Basil Ale Gin Fizz
- 1.5 oz. St. George Botanivore Gin
- 1 oz. pasteurized egg whites
- .5 oz. fresh lemon juice
- .25 oz. fresh lime juice
- .25 oz. organic clover honey
- 2 oz. Bison Brewing Honey Basil Ale
- 2 fresh basil leaves
1. Add the gin, juice & egg whites to a shaker pint. Place one leaf of basil in your palm and “spank” it with the fingers on your other hand. Tear basil gently and add to shaker pint.
2. Add ice to shaker pint, then pour honey on top (pro tip: this prevents it from being stuck to the bottom of the pint glass). Shake all of the ingredients vigorously to emulsify the egg whites, macerate the basil, and incorporate the honey. Strain the mixture over ice into a glass. Top with the Honey Basil Ale.
Bison Organic Beer