The inspiration for this beer cocktail was Bison’s Organic Gingerbread Ale, a spiced holiday porter brewed with ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon. Inspired by the eggnog cocktail, which boasts a similar holiday spice profile, I decided to use the Gingerbread Ale in an unique version of a flip cocktail, a drink that revolves around the use of a whole egg (but we specity pasteurized egg whites for food safety).
To further enhance the spices in the beer, I opted to use Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum and a house-made ginger simple syrup. The result is a creamy, rich and robust cocktail with a lot of flavor and spice. The garnish is nutmeg, freshly grated.
In this drink, the Gingerbread Ale really shines through, so try not to replace it. If you can’t find this beer, it can be substituted with a regular porter, and the addition of cinnamon and nutmeg to the simple syrup recipe.
- 2 oz. Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum
- 4 oz. Bison Organic Gingerbread Ale
- 1 whole egg (or 1 oz. pasteurized egg whites)
- 1 oz. ginger simple syrup
- Ground Nutmeg garnish
- Make the simple syrup with 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water, and 5-10 pieces of finely sliced fresh ginger; boil for 10 minutes, strain and chill.
- “Dry shake” the whole egg, rum, beer and ginger simple syrup to emulsify the ingredients. OR – Use a whisk to beat the ingredients together.
- Add ice to shaker and shake vigorously until chilled, strain into a glass (we like a coup or a snifter).
- Garnish with fresh grated nutmeg.
Bison Organic Beer